In 1923 the building was purchased by Cav. Protasio Sassella, who transformed the beautiful church of San Lorenzo into a modern hotel which was opened to the public in 1924.
In the beginning the building only occupied the part which is painted in green today, at a later stage it was enlarged and in the thirties reached the peak of its splendour with the addition of the left wing, the installation of central heating and hot and cold running water in all the bedrooms, comforts which were quite rare at that time, not to mention the telephone line (Telephone No. 4).
The numerous receptions held in the hotel during that period and above all the preparations for the celebrations of the San Lorenzo feast day on the 10th of August which were attended by all the local authorities are remembered. The Philharmonic orchestra accompanied the sumptuous meal and dancing continued until late at night.
Famous personalities from the political, cultural, entertainment and sports worlds have stayed at the Hotel San Lorenzo.
At the end of the sixties the hotel underwent further transformation, part of the property was handed over to the Dei Cas family who since then have run the business.
Nowadays every comfort for an unforgettable holiday in Bormio can be found at the San Lorenzo.